A great twist on traditional salmon tartare, this fresh and delicious trout tartare is a simple and sophisticated apéritif to any dinner party. Executive chef Chris Brown of Toronto’s Citizen Catering shows us how to entice the senses and wow dinner guests at home. Serves 12-18.
- 1 1/2 lb steelhead trout
- 4 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped capers
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Fill a bowl two-thirds full with ice cubes. Place a second bowl on top. This allows the fish to remain cold during preparation.
- With a knife, cut the trout into small cubes and place in the chilled bowl as you go. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar and water. Let marinate for 5 minutes. Drain the shallots and discard the liquid.
- Add the shallots and the remaining ingredients to the trout. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on crackers, baked chips, or crisps. Enjoy immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Chris Brown. Chris began his culinary career in some of Toronto’s finest dining establishments before founding Citizen Catering.
Live Beautifully is a decor and lifestyle magazine created by Empire communities that will hit the shelves in LCBO’s Food and Drink Magazine all throughout the West GTA this May. Empire invites you to view our debut decor magazine before anyone else.